04 January, 2014

Best Books Read in 2013

I gave up on vague resolutions a few years ago; I'm all for the fresh start a new year brings, but I think many resolutions are a setup for failure. 

Something I tried last year was to instead make a list of specific goals I wanted to accomplish. I kept the list as a note on my phone, and when I completed something I deleted it from my list. This year I took it to the next level and typed up my goal list; so official, right? I'm hoping to touch on these goals throughout the year here on the blog and check in with how my list is coming along. 

One of the highlights of my list last year was to read 52 books in 2013. The goal actually started out as 30 books, but I decided I could ramp it up. This was such a fun challenge and one I'm going to do again this year! I haven't determined if I will keep the number at 52 or raise it (I'm a bit competitive with myself), but regardless I look forward to another year of discovering some great reads! 

I wanted to share some of my favorite books I read in 2013. Starting with my favorite and then in no particular order after that: 

1. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes (link to Amazon)

Wow. Just wow. If I had to recommend a book to someone this would be it hands down (hence saying it's my favorite from the year). This is a beautiful story about a reluctant caregiver to a quadriplegic and their journey together. It will make you cry, make you think, and make you crave for every novel you read to be this fantastic.


2. The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth (link to Amazon)

Taking place in dystopian Chicago, this story about Beatrice "Tris" Prior is a thrilling page turner.


3. War Brides by Helen Bryan (link to Amazon)

A strong set of characters against the backdrop of life in England during World War II. This will keep you enthralled until the very last page.


4. The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani (link to Amazon)

As someone with Italian immigrant ancestors, this book struck a chord with me from the beginning. When you finish reading you will miss the characters.


5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (link to Amazon)

Definitely a love it or hate it kind of book, 'The Night Circus' is one of the most creative stories I have ever read about the duel between two young magicians. I personally loved it and would re-read this in a heartbeat.


6. The Ridiculous Race by Steve Hely & Vali Chandrasekaran (link to Amazon)

Full disclaimer; for me this wasn't a page turner. I actually read this book over the last two years, as it is an easy book to put down and come back to weeks or even months later. That being said, I rarely laugh out loud while reading the way I did as I made my way through this book. It's a very entertaining tale about two friends who raced across the world, no airplane rides allowed.


7. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (link to Amazon)

A reading necessity about teenagers and the tragedy of cancer.


I highly recommend checking these books out! What are some books you have enjoyed reading lately? 

2 comments:

  1. hey girl.

    i'm going to have to pick up divergent now! i read and loved the magic circus. i wish there was a sequel! i'm currently reading the fault in our stars and it's great but i'm not ready for it to get sad. i'll have to look up your other recs too. I love reading but I'm definitely in a rut! I feel like I just keep reading the same books. If you haven't, I'd recommend Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling's books. So funny and relatable.

    http://apartmentpants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh you'll have to let me know what you think about Divergent. And LOVE that I've found a fellow Night Circus lover. Tina Fey's book is now on my list, and Mindy Kaling's book was hilarious.

      Delete