05 April, 2014

Hearty Tortellini and Spinach Soup

I'm so excited to share this recipe with you. It's one of my all time favorite dishes, and probably the most memorable meal from my childhood. The original recipe was clipped by my mom from some magazine back in the 90's. It became a staple in my family's household, and now in mine!

This is a super easy one and is forgiving in terms of ingredients. You can substitute frozen spinach for fresh, use any kind of stuffed pasta, and play around with your broth base. I've included with the recipe below my personal favorite items to use.


To serve four you'll need:

Olive oil (not pictured)
Crushed garlic (Trader Joe's)
A quart of broth (Unsalted is the way to go…I adore the Kitchen Basics brand)
12 ounces cheese tortellini (the Rana brand is delicious; I bought mine at Marianos)
1 can of stewed tomatoes, undrained (Del Monte)
A few handfuls of fresh spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste (not pictured)
Shredded Parmesan cheese (Bel Gioioso)

Drizzle some olive oil and put a dollop of crushed garlic in your pan.


Heat (on low as to not make a mess) for a few minutes then add your broth. Turn up the heat and cover until boiling.

Add in in your pasta, tomatoes and spinach and give everything a stir.


Turn the heat down a bit and cover, simmering for 3 minutes or until spinach is just a bit wilted.


Salt and pepper to taste. That's it! Ladle into individual bowls and top with some shredded Parmesan cheese.



I like to serve crusty bread with this for dipping if I have company, or if you are particularly hungry pair it with a side salad.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to make this this week... My stomach is growling just looking at this recipe!

    apartment pants

    ReplyDelete